This list of shrines is based on a study by Milan Ivanovic, Crkveni spomenici XIII-XX veka (Church Monuments from 13th to 20th century) from Zaduzbine Kosova (The Foundations of Kosovo), Prizren-Belgrade 1987, and other recent publications. Dragan Jovanovic, researcher, compiled the major part of this list.
AJKOBILA (in the Middle Age Prozdrikobila, Pristina): demolished church in the vicinity of the present-day mosque.
AJNOVCE (in the Middle Ages Hainovci, K. Kamenica): 1. ruins of the Tamnica monastery with the church built and frescoed in the 14C on the foundations of an older Byzantme basilica; 2. remains of a church in the old cemetery on the site called Ravan.
ALAGINA RIJEKA (Pec): 1. ruins of a Serbian church on Crkveno Brdo (Church Hill); 2. remains of a church near the place called Izvorski Laz.
ARILJACA (in the Middle Ages Arhidijaca, Pristina): ancient ruins of a church and an old Serbian graveyard.
BABALOC (in the Middle Ages Babe, Decane): according to legend, a mosque was erected on the site of an old church.
BABLJAK (Urosevac): old church (restored in 1966, dedicated to the Holy Trinity); a Serbian priest mentioned in the census of 1455.
BACKA (Dragas): church of St. Barbara formerly occupied the site called Vakuf.
BADOVAC (Pristina): 1. remains of an old church on the site called Crkvine (i.e. ruins of a church), 2. ruins of a former church above the Belograb site; 3. ruuns of the monastery of Vojsilovica (14C) at Androvacki Breg – its stone remains were used for the building of the Catholic church of St Nicholas in Janjevo, the Turkish mill on the Gracanka river and dwellings of the Albamians from nearby villages; 4. an old church, above the cemetery, on the site called Krstac.
BAJCINA (in the Middle Ages Bajcino Podujevo): a Serbian church existed (village priest mentioned in the census of 1455).
BAJGORA (formerly Bela Gora K.Mitrovica): remains of a church on the site called Backa.
BAKS (Srbica): microtoponyms “Crkva” (Church) and “Crkveni Do” (Church Valley) indicate that a church once existed in the village.
BALABANE (Pristina): ruins of an ancient church next to the old graveyard on the site called Crkvena Livada (Church Meadow).
BALANCE (Vitina): 1. remains of the church of St Helen in the village; 2. ruins of the monastery of St Eliah, above the village.
BANOV DO (in the Middle Ages Banje Polje, K. Mitrovica): on the foundations of an old Serbiam church, a new church was erected in 1950; next to it is an ancient Serbian cemetery.
BANJE (K. Mitrovica): 1. church erected in recent times on the site of an old one, surrounded by the old and present-day village cemetery; 2. remains of a monastery with a church and a bell-tower ( 13C or 14C), restored in 1492, in the Cpilje-Kuline hamlet; a large medieval graveyard situated on the plateau surrounding the church.
BANJE, BANJA RUDNICKA (Srbica): 1. church of St Nicholas erected by the Serbian feudatory Rodop some time before 1432; restored in the 20C 2. old Serbian cemetery on the St Paraskeve hill; 3. another old Serbian cemetery towards the village of Suho Grlo.
BANJICA (Glogovac): according to legend and some microtoponyms, the church of St Sava and an old Serbian graveyard were situated in the village.
BANJICA (Lipljan): a church existed once (suggested by the reference to a village priest in the census of 1455 and the toponym “Crkvena Njiva (Church Field).
BANJSKA (K. Mitrovica): 1. monastery of Banjska 2. remains of the church of St. Elijah (mentioned in 1313) in the hamlet of Jelici; 3. remains of an old church in the hamlet of Stevonci; 4. traces of a structure, perhaps a church, in the hamlet of Kozareva Rijeka.
BANJSKA (Vucitrn): 1. old church of St Nicholas; 2. ruins of the church of St Stephen in the hamlet of Seliste.
BARAINA (in the Middle Ages Barajino or Borajno, Podujevo): according to written sources, a Serbian church existed there in the 15C.
BARANE (in the Middle Ages Barani, Pec): unascertained monastery of Barane (mentioned in 15th and 16th-century sources); 2. the site where an old graveyard was formerly siruated.
BARDOSAN (Djakovica): 1. ruins of an old Serbian church and a graveyard (recorded in the 19C); 2. archaeological ret mains of early medieval Slavic culture.
BARE (Leposavic): old Serbian graveyard.
BARILJEVO (Pristina): church of Samodreza (village priest mentioned as early as 1455); the Turks used its building material for the construction of the mill on the Lab river at the beginning of the 19C.
BATAIRE (in the Middle Ages Batahire, K. Mitrovica): the toponym “Crkva” (Church) points to the former presence of a Serbian church in the village.
BATUSA (Djakovica): a written source from 1330 refers to the church of St Nicholas in the village (according to tradition, it occupied the site of the present-day mosque).
BEGOV LUKAVAC (in the Middle Ages Lukavac Istok): remains of an old Serbian church and devastated graveyard on the hill of Vucur; a note from 1643 makes mention of the church of St George in the village.
BEGUNCE (Vitina): old church formerly existed.
BELA CRKVA (Orahovac): 1. remains of an early three-aisled Byzantine basilica and a necropolis; 2. church of St Elijah, mentioned in a source from 1330 (unascertained); 3. church of St Helena, formerly situated on the road to the Sopnic village; 4. church of the Holy Archangels, on the site called Listenol.
BELAJE (Decane): rock-cut anchoritic dwellings of the Decani monastery on Streocka Mt: 1. hermitage of King Stefan Decanski; 2. hermitage of St Helena (built up); 3. central hermitage (between the former rwo); 4. hermitage of St Ephraim (14C); 5. Belajska hermitage (church of the Virgin) chief monastic anchoritic dwelling with 14th-century frescoes.
BELASICA, VRHLAB (Podujevo): according to folk legend in the village and its surroundings there were seven sites with the ruins of former churches.
BELEG (Decane): in the previous century, the ruins of a Serbian church and old graveyard still existed in the village.
BELICA (Istok): 1. Lazarica church, formerly venerating St George (probably from the 14C; repeatedly restored in the 16C, 17C and 18C); old and new graveyards are situated next to it; 2. remains of a church.
BELINCE (Urosevac): remains of a church on the site called Kisha (Crkva (Church)).
BELO BRDO (Leposavic): uninvestigated ruins of a former church and remains of a medieval mine.
BELOGRACE (in the Middle Ages Belogradice, Kacanik): ruins of a former church with a graveyard used to exist once.
BELO POLJE (Istok): remains of a church, dedicated according to legend, to the Holy Saviour, and of an old graveyard on the site called Crkvenjak (Verger).
BELO POLJE (Pec): the census of 1455 makes mention of rwo priests and a monk in the village. Today exist: 1. church of the Presentation of the Virgin (19C) erected on the foundations of an ancient church, surrounded by an old graveyard; 2. remains of a church on the hill called Krst (Cross); 3. the cave called Careva Stolica, or Razboj (the Emperor’s Stool or the Loom) (according to legend, used to be a hermitage).
BELO POLJE (Podujevo): a church existed in the 15C.
BELUCE (Leposavic): ruins of an old church and an old graveyard. BENCUK (in the Middle Ages Bencuj Vucitnn): remains of the church and dormitory called Dusan’s church.
BEREVCE (Urosevac): 1. church of St Paraskeve with a belltower (mentioned in a note from 1353); 2. ruins of the church of St Demetrios on the site called Crkvica (Small Church)
BERIVOJCE (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): church of Globarica, dedicated to st John with frescoes from the 16/17C (village priest mentioned in the census of 1455).
BERKOVAC or BERKOVICA: unascertained village (mentioned in the 15C in the Lapska nachye) somewhere in the environs of Podujevo, with “the church of “St Vasil” (Basil).
BERKOVO (Klina): church of the Holy Archangels formerly situated on the site called Crkviste (i.e ruins of a church), demolished by the Turks; above Crkviste an old Serbian graveyard survives.
BESINJE (Pristina): an old Serbian church stood once on the site called Crkveni Do (Church Valley); an old graveyard situated today on the site called Babino Groblje; the Pustinja Leskovac monastery (mentioned in 1455) formerly located in the vicinity of the village.
BINAC (Vitina): 1. ruins of an old settlement above the village; in the village and its environs there are the ruins of the churches of St Paraskeve St Stephen and c, Nicholas (recently restored); 3. monastery of the Archangel Michael (Buzovik), south of the village, from the 14-16C with the remains of two layers of frescoes (the younger dating from the 16C).
BISTRAZIN (in the Middle Ages Bisazina, Djakovica): new church, erected on the foundations of an old one demolished in 1941; the old and new graveyard formerly situated next to it.
BISTRICA (Leposavic): remains of a church and an old graveyard.
BISTRICA SALJSKA (Leposavic): remains of an old church on the site called Crkviste (ruins of a church).
BITINJA see GORNJA and DONJA BITINJA
BIVOLJAK (Vucitrn): old cemetery, known as the Wallachian cemetery.
BLAGAJE (Pec): old Serbian cemetery.
BLJAC (Dragas): in the village with several old Serbian toponyms, the remains of a smaller church still existed in the mill-19C.
BOB (Kacanik): archaeological finds of two churches, Byzantine and medieval Serbian, with a graveyard, on the site called Crkva (Church).
BOBOVAC, BOBOVCE, BOBOJEVCE (Klina): ruins of a church with an old graveyard existed until 1870.
BOGOSEVCI (Prizren): 1. church of St Nicholas in the graveyard (16C) frescoed in the 16/17C; 2. church of the Dormition of the Virgin in the hamlet of Peicici (18C).
BOJNOVICE, BOJINOVICE (in Kolasin upon the Ibar) 1. Old cemetery, in the Bojnovacko field 2. a church formerly situated on the site called Crkvine (i.e. ruins of a church), in the centre of the village; 3. old graveyard church, on the outskirts of the village, restored in 1950.
BOLJETIN (K.Mitrovica): Sokolica monastery with the church of the Intercession the Virgin (14-15C) at the foot of the Sokolica his; the church contains damaged frescoes, especially valuable is the marble sculpture of the Virgin with Christ transferred from Banjska, the demolished mausoleum of King Milutin (1312-1316); a Serbian graveyard situated above the monastery.
BOLJEVCE (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): 1. ruins of the old church of St Panteleemon with the traces of the original fresco-pamtmg.
BORCANE (in the Middle Ages Borcani, Leposavic): new church erected in the 19C on the foundations of the ruins of a former church, on the hill above the village.
BOSCE (Kriva Reka neat Novo Brdo): several Serbian microtoponyms and an old cemetery have survived.
BOSTANE (Pristina): 1. remains of the medieval Saxon (Latin) church venerating the Virgin, scarce fragments of frescoes with Cyrillic and Roman inscriptions; 2. church of the Virgin in the graveyard, erected in the 19C with the material of the old church of the Virgin in Novo Brdo beneath Mt Javor.
BRABONIC (K. Mitrovica): old ruins of a former church.
BRADAS (Podujevo): Three churches formerly existed (whose stone remains were carried off in the 19C and 20C); the remains of one have survived.
BRAINA (Podujevo): according to histoncal sources the village had: 1. church of the Virgin Amolyntos Brainassa – of Braina (14C); 2. church of St Nicholas (14C) 3. church of St Peter (14C). The remains of two churches and two old graveyards have been uncovered in the village area
BRASALJCE (Gnjilane) 1. ruins of a former church in the hamlet of Barice; 2. ruins of a former church in the hamlet of Sasivar.
BRATILOVICE (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): 1. remains of an old church on the site called Crkviste (ruins of a church) in the location named Rupiste 2. demolished old church on the site called Prisoje in Rupiste.
BRATOTIN (Orahovac): old church on the Glavica hill; old and present-day Serbian cemetery, north of the village.
BRECE (in the Middle Ages Brezovica, Podujevo): ruins of an old church in the Haimovic (Halilovic) mahala.
BRESJE (in the Middle Ages Brestije, Pristina): church of St Catherine, demolished in the 19C by Jashar-Pasha Dzanic, restored in the 20C.
BRESNICA (K. Mitrovica): traces of the ruins of a church (village priest mentioned as early as the 15C), old graveyard on the hillock above the village; remains of amother old graveyard in the hamlet of Alin Do.
BRESTOVAC (Orahovac): microtoponym relating to the old graveyard.
BRESTOVIK (Pec): old graveyard on the site also occupied by the remains of a church (village priest mentioned in the 15C).
BREZNA (Dragas): according to legend, the church of St John occupied the site of the present-day mosque (confirmed by the toponym Crkveni Do – Church Valley).
BRNJACA (in the Middle Ages Brnjasca, Orahovac): ruins of the church of St Kyriake (mentioned in a source from 1348) embellished with stone reliefs in the 16C and repeatedly restored.
BRNJAK: 1. foundations of several structures (probably belonging to Queen Helen of Anjou palace, known only from written sources) discovered near the confluence of the Oklach stream into the Brnjicka river; 2. medieval cemetery in the hamlet of Basce; 3. remains of an old church near the graveyard in the hamlet of Dublje; 4. ruins of a church and an old graveyard on the site called Krnje; 5. remains of an old church called Crkvas in the hamlet of Presjeke 6. small dilapidated church in the hamlet of Staro Guvno 7. traces of a graveyard in the hamlet of Usce on the site where, according to tradition, a church stood once.
BROCNA (in the Middle Ages Brodna, Srbica): old Serbian graveyard and the site called Crkviste (i.e. ruins of a church) (village priest referred to in the 15C); according to legend, the village mosque was erected on the site formerly occupied by a church
BROD (Dragas): 1. church of St Demetrios (unascertained); 2. church of St Panteleimon and an old graveyard on the Pantelejci hill; 3. church of St Nicholas (completely destroyed in the 20C), 4. old Christian cemetery (situated on the site of the present-day burrial ground for cattle).
BROD (Urosevac): remains of the church of St Peter, near the village, and of an old graveyard, in the village.
BRODOSAVCE (Dragas): 1. remains of a larger church stood above the village in the 19C; 2. remains of the small medieval fortress of Zinovo in the area of the same name.
BRUS (Lipljan): a church existed in the hamlet of Velih Brus very old Jewish cemetery located near the village.
BRUSNIK (Vucitrn): remains of an old church on the site called Marina Voda.
BRUT (Dragas): old graveyard with a demolished church on the site called Vakuf.
BRVENIK (Podujevo): remains of the medieval fortress of Brvenik with the foundations of buildings and outer walls (a church situated in the centre).
BRZANCE (Leposavic): old cemetery.
BUBE (in Kolasin upon the Ibar): 1. remains of an old church in the village graveyard 2. remains of two old probably eccleciastical, buildings on the his called Bupski Siljak.
BUBLJE (Malisevo): Budisavci monastery with the church of the Transfiguration (14C), the church restored and frescoed in 1568, to the wish of the Patriarch Makarije Sokolovic.
BURINCE (in the Middle Ages Bujince, Podujevo): a church existed (demolished so that Pashas mill would be constnucted with its stone remains)
BUSINJE (Pristina) locality “Srpsko groblje” (Serbian Graveyard).
BUSOVATO, BUSOVATA (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): old cemetery (now called the Jewish cemetery).
BUSAC: unascertained village (in the wide neighborhood of Pristina), in which, according to a written source from 1581, the church of St Nicholas was located.
BUSNICE (in the Middle Ages Baosici, Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): old cemetery called Jewish, on the site called Bara.
BUZEC (Dragas): remains of an old church on the site called Crkviste (i.e. ruins of a church).
CAREVAJKA (Gnjilane): foundations of an old church on the site called Crkvena Bukva (Church Beech); by the stream near the village, next to the demolished church, was an old graveyard.
CAREVAC (Suva Reka): ruins of a modest-sized church.
CAREVCE (K. Kamenica): very old graveyard.
CECELIJA (Vucitrn): locality “Crkveni Do” (Church Valley).
CERANJA (Leposavic): remains of the church of St Paraskeve (with spolia from antiquity), in Ceranjska Reka, on the site called Mramor.
CERNICA (Gnjilane): village church referred to in a document from 1512. Three churches are known today: 1. ruins of the church of St Paraskeve, in the present-day village; 2. ruins of the church of the Holy Saviour, in the present-day village 3. new church of St Elijah, erected in 1933.
CEROVIK (Klina): microtopnyms “Crkva” (Church) and “Srpsko Groblje” (Serbian Graveyard) anest to the existence of an old Serbian graveyard and church.
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS in the Lapska nachye: mentioned in the 15C, with three monks (which indicates that it was a monastery), but its site has not been precisely acsertained.
CREPULJA (in Kolasin upon the Ibar): church of St Nicholas, probably erected in the 14C, completely reconstructed in the 16/17C; painted with Eescoes in the 18C.
CRKOLEZ (Istok): 1. church of St. John in the old graveyard built in the 14C, adorned with frescoes in 1672/73 (treasuring a coDection of 17th-century icons), 2. amother church might have existed near the village (grazing lands called “Sabor – Crkva” (“Cathedral Church”) and “Celije” (Cells).
CRKVENA VODICA (formerly Crvena Vodica, Pristina): remains of an old church and an old graveyard.
CRMLJANE (in the Middle Ages Crmlje, Djakovica): a church formerly located on the Crmljanska peak (village priest mentioned in the 15C), converted by the Turks into a turbeh an archaeological locality is also situated in that place (Iron Age).
CRNCE (in the Middle Ages Crnca, Istok): church at “Crnca in Hvosno” mentioned in 1264, until the middle-19C, remains of the church and the old graveyard stood on the slope above the village, on the site called Crkviste (ruins of a church).